Growth is happening all around Huntsville.
As Alabama’s most populous city, Huntsville continues to invest in new infrastructure, public and private developments, residential projects and much more.
Take a deeper look at major investments in District 3:
Public projects > $200 million
- New Grissom High School
- Sandra Moon Complex, to include recreation fields and facilities, public meeting space and a dedicated performing arts facility
- South Huntsville Public Library
- Southside Park, to include a playground, dog park, disc golf and an archery course
- Expanded greenways
- Completed initial phase of construction on a new 27-acre Nature Park, which will provide outdoor rec opportunities while connecting residents to Grissom High, greenway trails and future retail/commercial development at Hays Farm
- South Parkway overpasses and new access roads (Restore Our Roads)
- Haysland Road extension to Redstone Road
- New 8-foot-wide bicycle/pedestrian sidewalks under construction during Weatherly Road resurfacing, ~1.5 miles from Bailey Cove to Blanda Dr.
- Fire Station #7 on Green Cove Road
- South Huntsville Business Association established; earned Main Street designation and grant funding
2021 residential data
- Building permits were issued for 658 housing units, a 114% increase from 2020
- Housing stock increased by 2.1% since the 2020 Census
- Residential construction concentrated in three main areas: Hays Farm, Green Cove Road and Green Mountain
Real estate numbers
- 946 single-family homes were sold last year, a decrease of 1% from 2020
- The average sales price for a single-family home in 2020-2021 increased by 11.9% to $319,268
- 84 commercial permits were issued last year, a 55.6% increase over 2020
- $37.5 million in commercial projects were permitted along South Parkway in 2021
- Since June 2018, more than $106 million in commercial projects have been permitted along the South Parkway corridor
Did you miss D3 Council Member Jennie Robinson’s Town Hall on Monday, Jan. 24? Click here to view the slides or watch on Facebook.