Huntsville is synonymous with progress – and the City’s District 5 is no exception.
The newly released Huntsville Development Review, an in-depth look of the City’s construction and real estate data for 2022, showcases Huntsville’s trajectory of growth as the largest city by population in Alabama. Featuring data obtained from City records and the North Alabama Multiple Listing Service, the review provides all the information you’ll need as a buyer, seller or builder in the Rocket City.
Want a deeper dive into D5’s data? See below:
- 2,824 housing units were issued building permits in 2022.
- 1,570 housing units were issued certificates of occupancy.
- Active residential construction areas included Greenbrier, MidCity and Providence.
- 106 permits for single-family residential additions and alterations were permitted. The neighborhoods with the most additions and alterations were Lake Forest and Edgewater.
- There are 40 apartment complexes, with a total of 9,613 units, under construction or proposed in D5.
- 860 single-family homes were sold in D5 last year.
- The average sales price for a single-family home increased by 14.% between 2021-2022, to $382,473.
- 281 non-residential permits were issued in D5 last year.
- The Orion Amphitheater and Apollo Park – Continued growth to include 40 acres to stroll, lounge and enjoy surrounding offerings.
- MidCity District – New multifamily development, mixed-use space and more.
- Cummings Research Park – The second-largest research park in the U.S. recently celebrated its 60th birthday.
- New recreation center – The City is moving forward with a new recreation center on Martin Road just west of the intersection with Zeirdt Road.
- Road resurfacing – Huntsville is allocating $19 million to resurface 103 streets in fiscal year 2022-23 – an all-time high. See project list here.
- UCI Para-Cycling Road World Cup – International cycling competition to be held May 26-29 in Cummings Research Park.
- Fire Station 20 – Work is ongoing at the state-of-the-art fire station on Burgreen Road.
- And more!